Since our last update in March, we have:
– continued with customer installs in the various areas
– revisited existing installations and improved alignment (a few more to do)
– found a connection option for Braeside/Achdalieu and part of Blaich/Achaphubuil and we will begin installing there in the next coming weeks.
– ordered equipment for installation at Sallachan and discussed the options for Conaglen
– moved a main relay to a better position + added equipment (being completed & tested now)
– installed infrastructure to service Gairlochy
and…… our Auchindaul mast is up!
We now require the installation of the dishes pointing to the mast from the various locations which will give us a nice triangulation: when the connection via one of the main relays fails, the signal can be re-routed via another one, thus improving the resilience.
From September onwards, we would like to run a few local courses on basic troubleshooting, how to get the most out of your connection, and general internet related questions, for those community members who are not computer experts but want to explore the options available to them.
Please let us know if you would be interested in this or would like to see any other courses or related information. (i.e. How to use Skype, how to use I-player, Netflix, etc.)
If you know of any friends who are living in the rural areas around Fort William and who’s broadband speed is lower than 2Mb, ask them to register their interest via our website. We can investigate on how to connect them to our network.
Enjoy the sunny weather!
Chris & the Locheilnet team